Last night I dream of being locked in a dark cell, all alone.
I couldn’t tell what time it was – whether it was day or night.
Despite having access to food and water throughout the day – I felt miserably weak, to the point where I didn’t feel like eating.
I was lying down and the door banged open and there it stood, my saviour – the sun.
A huge amount of Vitamin D elements came running towards me to hug me and I began to feel a lot better.
As soon as I woke up, I realized how vital Vitamin D is for our body and how it is capable of making us feel all hopeless because of the D-ficiency.
Thus, I decided to address this issue, to help you realize the many Vitamin D foods that exist which will hug you just as much as the sun’s elements to enlighten your day.
Himalayan Shilajit - Harmonize Body, Improves Energy
How has it gone missing?
For you to understand vitamins better:
“Not produced in the body
but required to not become shoddy.”
Unlike all other vitamins, Vitamin D stands out from the crowd.
It is present in your body and gets a kick start once it is exposed to sunshine.
However, there are several reasons that people are not getting enough of it:
- Owing to the current trend of staying indoors, people do not go out in the sun as much as they used to. Even when they do, they make sure they have “protected” themselves against the sun – further hindering the procedure of being exposed to the sun.
- Dark skin can be a problem, too. Though the melanin in their skin keeps them away from the damage that the sun could inflict, it – also – keeps them away from an efficient production of Vitamin D.
- Low consumption of Vitamin D rich foods, also, elevates the problem.
- The geographical conditions of a person’s location, also, acts as an important determinant as to whether they lack Vitamin D or not.
Is the sun the only source for Vitamin D? Not so much
It has been a highly acclaimed notion that the only source to obtain Vitamin D is the sun; however, this is the biggest myth that exists with regard to the vitamin.
According to doctors, there is a lot of misinformation that has been regulating in the world with regard to the metabolism of Vitamin D and this causes them to encounter severe problems in the world of dermatology.
People have been of the view that it is only by spending a certain amount of time in the sun that people can produce the right amounts of Vitamin D, to maintain optimum health levels.
This belief in itself is wrong because there is a wide range of nutritional supplements and D-fortified food that exists out there just to aid the people as much.
Time and time again, people have suggested to depend on tanning or tan beds to gain Vitamin D.
However, too much exposure to sunlight would suggest an increase in UV(B) rays which exacerbates the problem and causes skin cancer.
Thus, it is necessary to break the myth and put the truth across the table.
Under no circumstances, the use of tanning is justified.
Instead, people can gather the required amounts of Vitamin D from a supplement.
How does the vitamin D help?
As mentioned earlier, Vitamin D is not like the other vitamins and has various surprises at its disposal for everybody.
For as long as we can remember, we have held calcium in high regard because it is responsible to strengthen our bones, however, Vitamin D happens to be just as important in promoting the growth of our bones.
If there is too little Vitamin D in a child’s body – it may result in rickets and adults are exposed to the risk of osteomalacia.
That is not all, Vitamin D helps in keeping breast cancer, weight gain, depression and other such conditions at bay.
List of diseases that can occur due to Vitamin D-ficiency:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Type 1 diabetes
- Prostate Cancer
- Reduced risk of a heart attack
- Problems in healing wounds
- Hair loss
- Muscle Pain
Also, a recent study has suggested that women who run low on Vitamin D are exposed to a 400% increased risk of having a C-section done.
But because of the various reasons that have been stipulated above, Vitamin D has become a luxury – unless people decide to bring about a change in their fooding habits.
Himalayan Shilajit - Harmonize Body, Improves Energy
How can I get enough Vitamin D? Answer – sun and Vitamin D Foods!
It does come as a surprise for most people when asked to bring about Vitamin D rich foods to their diet.
Yes, Vitamin D is not only dissipated through the sunshine… but it can also be found in your kitchen’s fridge and in the grocery store!
Let me help you walk through the various things that you can inculcate in your diet to up your Vitamin D intake:
Beef or Calf Liver
There are a very small number of people who realize the fact that apart from protein being found in meat, some of it can also be rich in Vitamin D – like the beef liver. It has about 42 mg of Vitamin D in 3 ounces of it.
Salmon has been upheld as a rich source for obtaining vitamins for there is about 425 mg of Vitamin D in 3 ounces of salmon.
While Mackerel holds up to 547 mg of Vitamin D in 3 ounces of it
Mushrooms have a huge amount of Vitamin D in it owing to their constant exposure to sunlight, especially the ones found in East Asia.
For instance, Shiitake mushrooms are considered to be medicinal in nature and hold up to 40 mg of Vitamin D in one cup.
Yogurt, also, happens to be one the foods rich in Vitamin D despite a bacterium being added to it.
It has been estimated that there is about 80-100 mg of Vitamin D in it.
It goes without saying that juices are easy to consume and the orange juice is ranks as number one in most people’s list.
It becomes all the more perkier when people come to terms with the fact that it is a hold of 137 mg of Vitamin D in each of its serving.
Given that few people understand that Vitamin D rich foods exist, there is a smaller number which acknowledges the fact that tofu is one such food, too.
The food does not only mark the presence of protein in high amounts – because of being made using Soybean milk – but it is, also, rich in Vitamin D for there is 80 mg of it present in 3 ounces of tofu.
Despite the fact that people are of the view that cheese leads to obesity – they must also realize that the said is rich in Vitamin D because of 40 mg of it being present in one slice.
Well, you can workout and do away with the calories – but you are going to have a hard time changing your routine when it comes to going out.
This is perfect for the people who are conscious about their weight because oatmeal is considered to be amongst the healthiest grain on all of Earth which is filled with a number of vitamins, including Vitamin D which weighs 150 mg per packet.
It has always been said that the most important meal of the day is breakfast. And breakfast just got rich in Vitamin D after the advent of breakfast cereals for they are considered to be one of the best Vitamin D foods out there with about 50-100 mg’s of it in a cup.
Well, as mentioned above, meat is rich in quite a lot of nutrients that the body is in need of and one of them is Vitamin D because the egg is capable of conferring the body with 41 mg’s of it.
If it sounds tasty, it is bound to contribute to fat.
No, wrong notion.
Pudding which is made using milk is going to be oozing Vitamin D out of it, considering it consists of about 60 mg of Vitamin D in half a cup.
Nonfat or reduced fat milk is another such source which is going to provide you with Vitamin D in ample amounts given that 8 ounces of milk offers 100 mg of Vitamin D in it.
This is an all vegan alternative for the people out there who were hunting for something of the sort.
Almond milk’s taste is a little nutty but it is worth it because of the number of nutrients it carries and its Vitamin D content is similar to that in regular milk.
There’s so much to prepare:
Not all the options available at your disposal sound tasty, do they?
Thus, there is a wide variety of things that could take birth out of innovative preparations using the mentioned Vitamin D foods – or using some minor additions to them.
Let’s have a look into the recipe of one of my favorite healthy dessert – the
Blueberry Cottage Cheese Cake
I stumbled upon this recipe by replacing the regular cheesecake ingredients with healthier ones and, most importantly, it makes me feel a lot less bad about eating it.
It is prepared using cottage cheese because of the presence of Vitamin D in it.
The ingredients of the crust of the cake include the following:
- A cup of raw almond butter, chopped almonds and shredded coconut, each.
- One tablespoon of oil – preferably coconut oil – and maple syrup, each.
- One-quarter of a teaspoon of salt
Instructions to prepare the crust:
- Before you begin your cooking endeavour, heat the oven to 350°F
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients properly
- Pat the mixture into a greased 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and wait for it to cool.
While the filling of the cake’s ingredients is:
1. Five eggs
- Four cups of dry cottage cheese
- One cup of maple syrup
- One and a half teaspoon vanilla extract
- Orange juice squeezed out of one orange
- The peel of half an orange
- One-quarter of a teaspoon of salt
Method to prepare the filling:
- Make use of a blender to mix all the ingredients well until they become completely smooth.
- Place the filling onto the crust and bake it for 60 minutes.
- Take it out from the oven, once done.
…and the topping’s ingredients include:
- Two tablespoons of butter
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Peel and juice of half a lemon
- Half cup melted honey
- Three cups of fresh blueberries/strawberries (you can customize the cake to your liking)
- A tablespoon of arrowroot flour
Instructions for the preparation of the topping:
- Combine all the ingredients into a pan
- Cook for at least 10 minutes
3. Pour it over the cheesecake preparation
- Keep the cheesecake in the fridge, for at least 4 hours, because it tastes better when it is served chilled.
If a sweet is not what you are looking for then I have come across “frittata” – a dish packed with meat which you are going to savour for the rest of your life to the point that you would have to step into the kitchen to cook it over and over again, not only because of its taste but also owing to how healthy it is.
The ingredients of this dish include:
- One and a half cup of cooked meat, whichever you would like best.
- Two tablespoons of grass-fed butter, to make the dish healthier; however, you could also make use of cooking oil.
3. Half finely chopped yellow onion
- One and a half of vegetables, this could include frozen vegetables as well.
- Six eggs
- Four tablespoons of coconut milk
- Seasoning of choice
- A clove of garlic which has been chopped into pieces.
Instructions to prepare the dish:
- Before you begin cooking, heat the oven to 350°F.
- Simultaneously, take a skillet and heat the cooking oil on medium flame. Add chopped onion to it and saute it until it becomes soft.
3. Add the cooked meat of your choice to the pan along with garlic.
- Take a small bowl and whisk the eggs.
- Add coconut milk along with seasoning to the eggs and whisk until the batter is soft.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and cook for at least 4 minutes.
- Transfer the preparation of the skillet to the oven and bake it until the frittata is ready.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy it when it’s warm.
Mentioned above are the two of my favorite recipes which are rich in Vitamin D – a result of experimenting with the various Vitamin D foods.
In a similar manner, you can come up with numerous dishes and make your favourite food rich in Vitamin D.
However, if you think you are still running low on it, you can begin to take supplements which will serve to be just as beneficial.
Live long and prosper.