Beleric Myrobalan acts as an astringent and is helping in treating digestion related diseases. It is one of the ingredients of the Triphala of Ayurveda and is useful in the treatment of diseases related to eyes, nose, heart and bladder.
- Anti-diarrheal activity – has prominent intestinal fluid anti-secretory effect
- Anti-spasmodic activity – shows relaxation effect on small intestine
- Antiulcer activity– shows significant reduction in free acidity, total acidity and ulcer index; and increase in mucus content
- Wound healing activity – cutaneous wounds and ulcers; gastrointestinal ulcers
- Analgesic activity
- Antipyretic activity
- Bronchodilatory activity
- Anti-bacterial activity – especially effective against Salmonella sp., S. aureus; has antibiofilm activity against Streptococcus mutans (oral pathogen); shows β-lactamase inhibitor activity
- Antidepressant-like activity
- Antihypertensive effect
- Anti-hyperlipidemic activity – suppress absorption of meal-derived lipids mediated by gallic acid, thus may play a role in preventing metabolic syndrome
- Reduction of atherosclerosis risk factors – has inhibitory effect on LDL oxidation, pro-inflammatory cytokines, LOX-1 expression and ROS production in macrophages
- Hepatoprotective activity
- Antioxidant activity – possesses significant antioxidant activity at scavenging free radicals and hydroxyl radicals
- Anticancer activity– has growth inhibitory activity; showed anticancer effects on both lung and breast cancer cell lines
- Anti-mutagenic activity
- Balances disorders of Bile and Phlegm
- Restores physical strength
- Improves digestion
- Clears hoarseness and relieves thirst
- Heals mouth and throat ulcers
- Stops diarrhea
- Relieves hemorrhoids
Immune system and detoxification:
- Purifies lymph and thus is beneficial for skin and joint disorders
- Clears parasites
- Lowers fever
- Relieve headache caused by fever and heat
- Beneficial for respiratory tract infections, cough and sore throat
- Protects liver and lungs
- Lowers cholesterol
- Pharmacological activities of Baheda (Terminalia bellerica): A review
- Acute and Subacute Toxicities of the Ethanol Extract from the Fruits of Terminalia belerica (Gaertn.) Roxb.
- Terminalia bellirica Extract Inhibits Low-Density Lipoprotein Oxidation and Macrophage Inflammatory Response in Vitro
- Preventive effect of Terminalia bellirica on obesity and metabolic disorders in spontaneously obese type 2 diabetic model mice.
- Evaluation of antidepressant-like activity of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of Terminalia bellirica Roxb. fruits in mice.
- New 4′-substituted benzoyl-β-D glycoside from the fruit pulp of Terminalia belerica with antiplatelet and antioxidant potency.
- Alteration of Bax/Bcl-2 ratio contributes to Terminalia belerica-induced apoptosis in human lung and breast carcinoma.
- Pharmacological evaluation of fruits of Terminalia belerica Roxb. for antiulcer activity.