Valued for its medicinal properties since ancient times. Pomegranate seeds owe their superfood status to polyphenols, powerful antioxidants thought to offer heart health and anti-cancer benefits. In fact, pomegranate seeds have more antioxidant power than cranberry juice or green tea.
Dried seed and fruit
Anti-diarrhoeal activity– exhibits intestinal anti-secretory activity.
Anti-ulcer activity – significantly decreases gastric lesions.
Anti-hyperlipidemic activity – surpasses triglyceride synthesis in liver through inhibition of fatty acid synthase; reduces serum triglyceride, total cholesterol and LDL levels; decreases cholesterol absorption and affects HMG-CoA reductase.
Anti-obesity effect – shows to cause decrease in body weight and improve serum lipid profile.
Anti-diabetic effect – mildly reduces plasma glucose levels; increases tissue sensitivity towards insulin; inhibits diabetes-induced inflammatory processes; improves lipid profile.
Nephroprotective effect – produces vasodilation and increases blood flow in kidneys; reduces oxidative stress.
Effect on preeclampsia – shows protective effect on endothelial cells of preeclamptic patients.
Hepatoprotective effect – due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects as well as inhibition of collagen synthesis, shows to protect against liver fibrosis.
Ergogenic effect – shows to enhance vessel diameter, blood flow and delay fatigue during exercises.
Anti-atherosclerotic effect – protects endothelial function, improves lipid profile.
Anti-hypertensive effect – inhibits serum angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) and decreases systolic blood pressure.
Cardioprotective effect – prevents cardiac damage; reduces myocardial ischemia and improves myocardial perfusion; shows significant therapeutic value in prophylactic treatment of myocardial infarction.
Anti-microbial activity – shows antibacterial activity (against Proteus spp., H.influenza, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Streptococcus spp., Staphylococcus aureus, Enterocuccus faecalis, E.coli); anti-fungal activity (Candida albicans, Trichophyton spp.); antiviral activity (against genital herpes virus, Herpes simplex virus, hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus); anti-parasitic activity (Taenia spp., Ascaris lumbricoides); shows to inhibit oral pathogens.
Anti-inflammatory activity – reduces levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines; inhibits COX, LOX.
Anti-acne activity – inhibits growth of acne-related bacteria; down-regulates sebum production by reducing lipase activity; attenuates the inflammatory status; prevents keratinocyte over-proliferation.
Anti-osteoporotic effect – shows to promote bone cell proliferation and differentiation in primary osteoblasts; inhibits bone resorption process.
Anti-rheumatoid arthritis effect – exhibits anti-inflammatory effect; prevents development of joint damage; prevents maintenance and development of inflammation in RA; reduces severity and incidence of joint inflammation; inhibits cartilage degradation; helps to maintain joint integrity and function.
Antioxidant activity – inhibits lipid peroxidation; protects from oxidative stress; has free radical scavenging activity.
Neuroprotective activity – inhibits cholinesterase activity; prevents accumulation of lipid in brain; protects brain from stress oxidant; protects against cerebral ischemia-reperfusion induced oxidative brain injury; inhibits learning and memory deficits and neuronal cell death caused by amyloid-beta-induced oxidative stress; thus may be beneficial for prevention, management and supportive treatment of neurodegenerative diseases; shows to reduce neuropathic pain in acquired peripheral neuropathy.
Anti-cancer activity – shows to be chemopreventive/ chemotherapeutic agent; exhibits anti-inflammatory, anti-proliferative and anti-tumorigenic effects on skin, breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers.
Balances cold and Wind disorders
Restores physical strength and warmth
Increases libido and potency
Supports heart function
Restores digestive heat
Reduces gastric acidity
Relieves gastrointestinal irritation
Stops nausea and vomiting
Relieves thirst and dryness
Heals mouth and gastrointestinal ulcers
Strengthens the kidneys
Clears vaginal infection
Normalizes menstrual flow
Immune system and detoxification:
Clears lung fever
Treats bronchitis and other respiratory tract infections
Relieves shortness of breath
Strengthens immune system
- WHO monograph Pericarpium Granati
- WHO monograph Cortex Granati
- Effects of Pomegranate (Punica Granatum L.) Seed and Peel Methanolic Extracts on Oxidative Stress and Lipid Profile Changes Induced by Methotrexate in Rats
- Consumption of Hydrolyzable Tannins Rich Pomegranate Extract (POMx) Suppresses Inflammation and Joint Damage In Rheumatoid Arthritis
- The effects of pomegranate extract on normal adult rat kidney: A stereological study
- Protective effects of extracts from Pomegranate peels and seeds on liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats
- A Comprehensive Review of Punica granatum (Pomegranate) Properties in Toxicological, Pharmacological, Cellular and Molecular Biology Researches
- Therapeutic Applications of Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.): A Review Alternative Medicine Review Volume 13, Number 2 2008
- Attenuating effect of standardized fruit extract of punica granatum L in rat model of tibial and sural nerve transection induced neuropathic pain
- The effects of pomegranate extract on blood flow and running time to exhaustion
- Inhibitory Effect of the Punica granatum Fruit Extract on Angiotensin-II Type I Receptor and Thromboxane B2 in Endothelial Cells Induced by Plasma from Preeclamptic Patients
- Osteogenic potential of punica granatum through matrix mineralization, cell cycle progression and runx2 gene expression in primary rat osteoblasts
- Pomegranate for Prevention and Treatment of Cancer: An Update
- “Rhetoric to Reality”- Efficacy of Punica Granatum Peel Extract on Oral Candidiasis: An in vitro Study
- Effect of pomegranate extracts on brain antioxidant markers and cholinesterase activity in high fat-high fructose diet induced obesity in rat model
- Cardioprotective potential of Punica granatum extract in isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in Wistar rats
- Potentiated virucidal activity of pomegranate rind extract (PRE) and punicalagin against Herpes simplex virus (HSV) when co-administered with zinc (II) ions, and antiviral activity of PRE against HSV and aciclovir-resistant HSV