Nettle is “one of the highest sources of digestible iron in plant form” (Gladstar, 1993, p. 29). Nettle is a deeply nourishing herb, helping to revitalize the entire body and increase overall health. This rich wealth of nutrients is helpful where there is muscle cramping from low vitamin and mineral intake, as well as assisting in nourishing the body after illness or prolonged stress.
Urtica dioica L.
Found in most countries including Tibet at 4500 m altitude and lower area near animal shelters, roadsides, forests, canyons and among grasses. Distributed in central and eastern Nepal at 500-4500 m (Mid Hills-Himalayan), in moist areas and on uncultivated land.
Anti-inflammatory activity – acts as COX1 and COX2 inhibitor and Hematopoietic Prostaglandin D2 synthase inhibitor.
Anti-microbial activity – shows antiviral action against HIV, cytomegalovirus; has some antibacterial activity as well.
Anti-allergic activity – decrease allergic symptoms, such as nasal congestion, allergic rhinitis; acts as histamine antagonist and inhibit mast cell tryptase.
Antioxidant activity – shows hepatoprotective effect, as well as an anti-apoptotic action in brain cells; decreases ROS; increases antioxidant enzyme activity; prevents lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress; shows to increase the quality of spermatozoa and inhibits nicotine-induced adverse effects on sperm parameters.
Effect on benign prostatic hyperplasia – appears to increase urinary volume and urinary flow rate and reduce the size of prostate; decreases frequency of micturition and post-void residual volume; shows improvement in obstructive and irritative symptoms; decreases symptoms of nighttime urination, too frequent urination, painful urination, inability to urinate and irritable bladder
Genitourinary system effect – reduces inflammation of lower urinary tract; may be used for prevention and subsidiary treatment of kidney gravel
Cardiovascular effect– exhibits hypotensive effect; acts as diuretic and natriuretic; inhibit thrombin-induced platelet aggregation; decreases heart rate; has protective antioxidant action and improve lipid profiles
Hypotensive effect – shows to produce hypotensive responses through a vasorelaxing effect mediated by the release of endothelial NO, opening of potassium channels, blocking calcium channels and negative inotropic action.
Anti-arthritic activity – down-regulates inflammation cascade; has anti-inflammatory effect; reduces primary T-cell responses; has analgesic activity; has inhibitory effect on NF-kappa B activation which is elevated in chronic inflammatory diseases and is responsible for enhanced expression of many pro-inflammatory gene products
Analgesic and anti-nociceptive properties
Hepatoprotective effect – protect liver from free radical damage.
Gastroprotective effect – protects stomach mucous membrane; has anti-ulcer activity.
Hypolipidemic effect – reduces serum LDL and cholesterol; shows to decrease HMG-CoA reductase activity, resulting in lower plasma LDL levels.
Anti-diabetic effect – increases glucose uptake into cells and reduces intestinal absorption of glucose; causes mild decrease in serum glucose levels; exhibit ability to increase insulin secretion by Langerhans island; shows protective effect against Diabetic nephropathy via reducing oxidative stress and blood glucose.
Anti-dementia property – shows to improve learning and memory function; through anti-inflammatory and antioxidant actions suggested to be an anti-aging and neuroprotective agent and may prevent Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases progression.
Anti-hypoxic activity – shows to increase cerebral blood blow and possess anti-hypoxic activity due to its antioxidant action.
Warms the kidneys
Clears dampness and cold
Balances blood pressure
Strengthens the lungs
Balances endocrine system
Improves tone and elasticity of veins and capillaries
Balances blood sugar levels
Nourishes the body and restores physical strength
Restores digestive heat
Decreases stomach acidity
Relieves meteorism and abdominal distension
Alleviate haemorrhoids and helps to shrink inflamed tissues
Promotes destruction and elimination of kidney and bladder stones
Clears urinary tract infection
Relieves water retention
Neutralizes and prevent the crystallization of uric acid
Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia
Prevents premenstrual bloating
Promotes menstrual flow, but prevents excessive menstruation
Promotes easy delivery, easing pain and preventing haemorrhages
Increases milk production in nursing mothers
Reduces PMS symptoms
Clears vaginal yeast infections
Immune system and detoxification:
Relieves lymphatic congestion and oedema
Treats gout, arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
Relieves pain in the muscles and joints of the lower back
Helpful in easing neuralgia, sprains, tendonitis and sciatica
Relieves leg cramps
Relieves lung congestion
Clears phlegm and stops wheezing and asthma attacks
Relieves allergy and hay fever symptoms, including sneezing and itching
Relieves shortness of breath
Relieves rashes and eczema
Protects and purifies the liver
Promotes wound healing
Helps to remove metabolic wastes
Stops bleeding of lungs, stomach, nose, kidney, uterine and bowel bleeding
Promotes blood and lymph circulation
- Community herbal monograph on Urtica dioica L.; Urtica urens L., folium European Medicines Agency 14 January 2010
- Assessment report on Urtica dioica L., Urtica urens L., folium European Medicines Agency 14 January 2010
- Stinging nettle: This page features 43 unique references to scientific papers.
- What is the most important information I should know about nettle?
- Synergism effects of pioglitazone and Urtica dioica extract in streptozotocin-induced nephropathy via attenuation of oxidative stress
- Effects of Urtica dioica supplementation on blood lipids, hepatic enzymes and nitric oxide levels in type 2 diabetic patients: A double blind, randomized clinical trial
- Mechanisms underlying the antihypertensive properties of Urtica dioica
- Neuroprotective Effects of Herbal Extract (Rosa canina, Tanacetum vulgare and Urtica dioica) on Rat Model of Sporadic Alzheimer’s Disease
- Antihypoxic activities of Eryngium caucasicum and Urtica dioica
- Protective effect of Urtica dioica L against nicotine-induced damage on sperm parameters, testosterone and testis tissue in mice
- Effects of Urtica dioica on hepatic ischemia‐reperfusion injury in rats
- Urtica dioica; Urtica urens (Nettle) monograph
- Plant extracts from stinging nettle (Urtica dioica), an antirheumatic remedy, inhibit the proinflammatory transcription factor NF-kappaB