The long pepper has been used for centuries in Mediterranean, African, Indian, and Indonesian cooking, although it has almost fallen into obscurity in the past few hundred years.
Originating in South East Asia, Long pepper is a close relative of the black pepper plant and currently grown and cultivated in Bali, India and Thailand. The fruit of the pepper consists of many minuscule fruits, each about the size of a poppy seed, embedded in a flower spike. Long pepper is similar in taste to regular black pepper, but has a higher heat level and has a subtle sweet, cardamom like undertone in its flavor.
Piper longum L.
It grows in forest and near the houses in tropical region. It is also cultivated.
Anti-diabetic effect – shows to enhance glucose uptake; protects from lipid peroxidation; have hypo-lipidemic and hypoglycemic effect.
Anti-depressant like activity – shows to inhibit monoamine oxidase (MAO) which catalyses the oxidative deamination of monoamine neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine, and thus may prevent the development of various psychiatric and neurological disorders.
Antioxidant activity – protects from oxidative stress, have free radical scavenging activity.
Cardiovascular effect – inhibits platelet aggregation and thus can be used to improve peripheral blood circulation and protect from development of atherosclerosis.
Anti-microbial activity – shows to have anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic activity Anti-cancer activity – show to induce apoptosis in cancer cells.
Balances Phlegm and Wind disorders
Supports lungs, kidneys, intestines and stomach
Restores body warmth and strength
Restores kidney heat
Clears dampness and cold
Improves digestive heat
Clears excessive mucus from gastrointestinal system
Relieves meteorism and abdominal distension
Relieves gastrointestinal pain and spasms
Stops nausea and vomiting
Decreases stomach acidity
Relieves symptoms of food poisoning
Balances menstrual cycle
Improves urinary flow
Immune system and detoxification:
Improves blood circulation
Clears excessive mucus from respiratory system
Relieves shortness of breath and asthma
Clears lung inflammation and chest pain
Stimulates immune system
Relieves joint pain and swelling
- Preventive potentials of piperlongumine and a Piper longum extract against stress responses and pain
- Development, Characterization, and Evaluation of Hepatoprotective Effect of Abutilon indicum and Piper longum Phytosomes
- Effect on oxidative stress, glucose uptake level and lipid droplet content by Apigenin 7, 4′-dimethyl ether isolated from Piper longum L
- Evaluation of the Efficacy & Biochemical Mechanism of Cell Death Induction by Piper longum Extract Selectively in In-Vitro and In-Vivo Models of Human Cancer Cells
- Paralytic effect of alcoholic extract of Allium sativum and Piper longum on liver amphistome, Gigantocotyle explanatum
- Inhibitory Effect of Ethanol Extract of Piper longum L. on Rabbit Platelet Aggregation through Antagonizing Thromboxane A2 Receptor
- Piperine from the Fruits of Piper longum with Inhibitory Effect on Monoamine Oxidase and Antidepressant-Like Activity