Essential oils extracted from the root have been used in traditional medicine and in perfumes since ancient times.
In traditional Chinese medicine, the root is one of the 50 fundamental herbs. It forms a main ingredient in the Chinese pastille rods known as joss sticks. It is also used as incense
Saussurea lappa, syn. Aucklandia lappa
Northern Himalayas at a height of 2500 to 4000 m above mean sea level.
Immunomodulatory activity – protective effect on intestinal epithelial cells
Anti-helmintic activity – shows to be effective against nematodes and cestodes
Anti-bacterial activity – inhibits H.pylori, S.mutans, Shigella, MRSA, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, E.coli, Klebsiella pneumonia
Anti-viral activity – active against HBV
Anti-ulcer activity – increases endogenous motilin release, mucus discharge and accelerates gastric emptying; increases defensive factors by improvement in gastric cytoprotection
Anti-diabetic activity – hypoglycaemic effect
Hypolipidaemic effect – reduces serum cholesterol and triglycerides
Cardioprotective effect – improve lipid profile, coronary circulation and myocardial functions
Anti-oxidant activity – protects against oxidative stress; have ability to scavenge free radicals
Mild thrombolytic activity
Spasmolytic activity – shown to cause relaxation of smooth muscles
Anti-cancer properties – has potential activity against prostate and breast cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, lung cancer, leukemia, gastric, bladder and ovarian cancer. It shows to exert cytotoxic effects against neuroblastoma cells via inducing apoptosis and anti-metastatic effects vie inhibition of migration and invasion
Balances Wind and blood disorders
Balances blood pressure
Supports nervous system
Strengthens and protects liver
Stimulates motility of gastrointestinal tract
Stops diarrhea and vomiting
Pacifies inflammatory bowel disease
Relieves meteorism and abdominal distension
Relieves gastrointestinal spasms
Immune system and detoxification:
Relieves cough, chest congestion and lung inflammation
Strengthens the lungs
Has bronchodilatory action
Clears chronic skin diseases
Has anti-inflammatory action
Purifies body from toxins
Clears cholesterol and fat
- Volatile oil from Saussurea lappa exerts antitumor efficacy by inhibiting epithelial growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase-mediated signaling pathway in hepatocellular carcinoma
- Anticancer effect of Saussurea lappa extract via dual control of apoptosis and autophagy in prostate cancer cells.
- Identification of the protective effects of traditional medicinal plants against SDS-induced Drosophila gut damage
- The Genome-Wide Expression Profile of Saussurea lappa Extract on House Dust Mite-Induced Atopic Dermatitis in Nc/Nga Mice
- Sesquiterpene lactones derived from Saussurea lappa induce apoptosis and inhibit invasion and migration in neuroblastoma cells
- In vitro thrombolytic activity of Dhamasa (Fagonia arabica Linn.), Kushta (Saussurea lappa Decne.), and Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia Thunb.)
- A review of therapeutic potential of Saussurea lappa-An endangered plant from Himalaya.
- Anti-oxidant Activity of Saussurea lappa C.B. Clarke Roots.
- Evaluation of anti-resistant activity of Auklandia (Saussurea lappa) root against some human pathogens.
- STUDY OF KUSTHA (SAUSSUREA LAPPA, Clarke) IN ISCHAEMIC HEART DISEASE
- Field trial of Saussurea lappa roots against nematodes and Nigella sativa seeds against cestodes in children.